I have my own reading recommendation for you.

When people try to appear very worldly by making mass book recommendations via their Facebook statuses but they're really just announcing that they are sappy tools.

For example: "[Redacted] just finished a good read! For all you readers this is a must: Still Alice by Lisa Genova...but you must not mind stained pages from tear drops!!!" O RLY!?! Let's do a little textual analysis on this. First of all, what exactly do you mean by "all you readers"? Do you mean all people who are literate? If so, I find it rather presumptuous for you to assume that if people are literate, they will share the same literary tastes as a pregnant woman from the Central Valley. Secondly, I am pretty sure you are crying because you are pregnant and this is no indication whatsoever of the book's literary merit. Lastly, I propose a hypothetical: let's say a long lost Facebook friend in Canada takes you up on your implied offer to loan out your copy; are you really going to mail the book away? Hey, I have my own reading recommendation for you! It's this blog, and I hope it makes you cry, too.

POMK.

2 comments:

  1. For the record, while it bothers me when people try to recommend books by updating their Facebook status, it also bothers me 90% of the time anybody updates their Facebook status for any reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't people concerned about looking like idiots? When it's so easy to avoid doing so, why wouldn't you go for that option? I just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete